Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The New York Kiss



Today all the patients that had come in and out had kept telling me the same thing, “It looks like maybe the war is ending.” I was very much intrigued by the fact that all the patients kept saying the same thing. It really interested me because we were all just so hopeful that the war was over. I awaited my lunch break anxiously, staring at the clock. The seconds seemed like hours to me. Tick....Tick. At one o’clock as soon as my bosses had stepped through the front doors I left for Time’s Square where all the latest news was. Since I work on Lexington Ave the walk wasn’t that long. As soon as I arrive I see the giant lighten billboard with the words “V-J Day, V-J Day!” I knew exactly what that meant: victory over japan day. Many people were starting to come out and celebrate here in Time’s Square.
The next thing I felt were strong hands around me, a tight embrace and lips... I was being kissed. I could feel his heartbeat, as well as mine, he had soft lips with a hint of alcohol. I wasn’t sure what to I was feeling, I wasn’t angry I was happy, shocked, I was celebrating.  He let go of me and I saw he was a sailor. We parted in different directions without saying a word. I could tell he was happy and so was I.

*V-J Day was a day dedicated to commemorating the end of World War II. World War II was a long and bloody battle that lasted 6 years. It was the Allies vs the Axis of Power, in the end the Allies won the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment